* Reports that White House has cancelled meetings with China over IP issues has been denied by Larry Kudlow.
* US press reports that the government shutdown may delay the issuance of tax refunds.
* Senate will vote again on reopening the government – 2 bills, one for Republicans to provide funds for border wall, other to open without funding – both expected to fail.
* US house price index data for Nov due later today.
* UK Trade Min Fox will use the Davos meeting to discuss replicating EU deals.
* Rees Mogg maintains that the Irish backstop is the only obstacle standing in the way of ERG (Brexiteers) voting for PM May’s deal.
* BoE’s Broadbent speaking later on this morning.
* CBI Industrial Trends Orders for Jan out mid-morning.
* All eyes on tomorrow’s PMIs and the ECB meeting thereafter – EUR in limbo until then.
* French Jan business confidence index down from 103 to 102 as expected.
* EU’s Moscovici says economic clouds are down to external factors.
AUD & NZD
* NZ CPI came in a touch higher at 1.9% vs 1.8% but is net unchanged from prior reading.
* Westpac-Melbourne Institute leading index down -0.2% in Dec.
* Nov retail sales due out this afternoon.
* API weekly crude stocks data out this evening.